Norcal Motocross
Norcal Motocross
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Name that Rider

Real Name
    Charlie

Re: Name that Rider

Quote Originally Posted by sean 252 View Post
    Darrel and Coupe were fun to watch back then...They were very fast..ON ANY GIVEN SUNDAY here in Nor Cal at a local race you could have Schultz,Coupe, Richter.. Cantalopi., Grossi., Wosick., Myers.,Waxam,Turner, Woods,Chandler, Law all in one race.....Plus 20 others I cant remember...30 Pros on the line every weekend...Heck at Argyll last Sunday there was zero? Charlie Remembers all this, add some names...
    Jim Inglebright, Tom Bracamonte, Shawn Hybarger, Dan Waller, Don Wilson, Allen Berluti, Kevin Booth, Greg Nelson, Marty Sawin, Darrell Burt, Al Griego, John Volk, Tony Tamagni, Thomas Walton, Greg Martz, Brian Veerkamp, Mel Tibbett, Kevin Fuller, Daniel Lawson, Rick Egner, Glenn Woons, Ted Cabral, Randy Losh, Rick DeLong, Floyd Davis, Lance Beauchamp, Richard Buttner, Delno Becker, Duane Joice, John Burrows, J. McBrayer, Ramond Spore, George Cheatham, Phil Douglas, George McNamara, Starr Needham, Bill Swartz, Dennis Stapleton, Renning Burns, Chuck Mueller, Russ Morgan, Mike Yochum, Charlie Sexton, Perry Donohew, Pat O'Donnell, Tim Alarcan, Jim Fisk, Rod Nordstrom, Don Cody, Jim Moe, Bill McClinton, Jim McClinton, **** Mann, Beatle Murphy, Pat Wilson, Gary Morris, Charlie Marshall, Jim Ellis, Curt Wilcox, Scott Rice, Ron McQuade, Dean Wiggins, Michael Preston, Doug McRae, J. Edie, Mark Zeissler, Jim Cressa, Jerome Heiberger, Tom Odekirk, Keith Myers, John Morgan, Jim Holley, Eddie Brown, Eric McKenna, Larry Mullock, Rodney Smith, Spoof Pena, J P Morgan, Scott Rebuck, to name a few.
    And here is a few more. Sorry for any duplicates.
    Brad Bruns, Robbie Hadlock, Pat Yoho, Greg Michalec, Lauren Godbee, Steve Valhos, Steve Richards, Steve Arena, David Richards, Cori Cantaloupi, Rich Ryan, Scott Castaneda, Rich Cervantes, Mike Johnson, Mark Hearn, Mike Holmes, Chris Raza, Brad Emery, Tim Phillis, Jimmy Robertson, Ken McKenzie, Loren Turner, Jerry Stone, Dave Coker, Barney Wilson, Larry Coleman, Lance Coleman, Tom Odekirk, Eod Hammond, Lance Burgess, Randy Chapman, Robert Carrel, Byron Estes, Mark Stirling, Steve Coffey, Neil Goforth, Tom Sweeney, Ed Marchini, Neal Sharr, Rich DeCarlo, Greg Nelson, Jerry Brandt, Duane Hughes, Duane Joice, John Volk, Al McElroy, John Minor, Wayne Archer, Jerome Heibarger, Bill Jamerson, Matt Arena, Bryan Wargo, Tim Alarcon, Jim Domenighini, Eric Von Urff, Dan Scharf, Dennis Stapleton, Scott Dorman

Hurricane Bob Hannah
    Last edited by CharlieS; 12-06-2007 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Add Names

Real Name
    Alex B

Can't forget about Eric McKenna and Dave Coupe at Hangtown in 91 rode the muddy track when the pros wanted to cancel the race.

Real Name
    Sean

My 1st race was with Ricky Delong...He was fast...Jeff Ward and all the mini guys got thumped by him at Fremont and Sears Point...Wanted to know who he was.... Thanks Charlie....Mike Preston was one smooth Rider also Huh?? Rodney obviously was as fast a there was in 81...#1 Blue Plate....

Real Name
    lucio bonaso

i'm loving this thread!
    was wondering if sandbagging was a problem back in those days?what were the turnouts like in the other classes?

Real Name
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by sean 252 View Post
    My 1st race was with Ricky Delong...He was fast...Jeff Ward and all the mini guys got thumped by him at Fremont and Sears Point...Wanted to know who he was.... Thanks Charlie....Mike Preston was one smooth Rider also Huh?? Rodney obviously was as fast a there was in 81...#1 Blue Plate....
    I think the smoothest rider I ever saw was Ricky Ryan. He always looked like he was going so slow out front and pulling away.

Real Name
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieS View Post
    I think the smoothest rider I ever saw was Ricky Ryan. He always looked like he was going so slow out front and pulling away.
    I think Donnie C. was...He had that great style smooth as silk...I am not a big RR fan..Seen him 100s of times....

Real Name
    Charlie

Of Course, everyone remembers Magoo.

In case you can't read the Caption, it Says " Danny "Magoo" Chandler stops to chat with fans, performing one of his famous front-wheel wheelies. Actually, "Magoo" was caught by photographer James Gillis as he took a spill at last year's Hangtown." 79.

Real Name
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by lostinstates View Post
    i'm loving this thread!
    was wondering if sandbagging was a problem back in those days?what were the turnouts like in the other classes?
    There were big turnouts in every class, and there was not much sandbagging because there was no contingency money. Most of the races were AMA District 36, and the Motocross Steward kept points on every rider at every race and you got moved when you had the points like it or not.
    There were not as many classes back then, so the races were a lot longer. Now it is just a sprint in comparison.
    Last edited by CharlieS; 12-06-2007 at 05:47 PM.

Real Name
    Steve Parker

Thumbs up Re: Name that Rider

Sandbagging definitely was not a problem back then. It seemed like everybody wanted to make expert, then Blue Plate, then qualify for a National (mainly Hangtown). Now it seems like most guys just want to stay down a class (or two) just for the contengency money.

Hey Charlie, I ride with Pat O'Donnell sometimes. I'm trying to get him out on my '82 RM 125 for the "Plymouth Classic" Vintage/Post Vintage race in late April. I'll let him know you posted about his dad.....both are doing well by the way.

Real Name
    Steve Parker

Charlie, since we're talking about fast, smooth riders, tell those who never had a chance to see him a little about Tim Aston.